Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Waiting Room


The other day I was sitting in my doctor’s office. It was one of those days, and I had already been waiting for thirty-five minutes. As I sat there, I started thinking. I had a health problem that I needed a doctor to attend to. But I was getting impatient, and it was inconvenient waiting all that time to see the doctor.

So I began to look around the room. There was a receptionist sitting behind the desk. I suppose I could take a chance and ask her for advice. She does have some medical training after all. But my problem was very serious and did I want to take a chance with my health just because I was tired of waiting?

Then I looked at those sitting around me. The chairs were filled with people who were also waiting to see the doctor. I could go to them. They would understand how I felt. They’d even agree with me that it was inconsiderate for the doctor to keep us waiting. Perhaps they had even had a similar experience and could share how they dealt with it. But I would still have this serious health problem. These people couldn’t help me either. They were in the same shape I was. They needed answers, too. A few minutes later, the nurse called me in. I was glad I waited.

As I drove home, I thought about how I felt in the waiting room. As I took this before the Lord, I began to see the how similar it was to how I feel when waiting on God for answers or for healing. It is the same with those who have more knowledge and training. They can certainly help with some things, but in the end, they are limited by their humanity.

When I go to His people for help, they understand but they are in the same boat I am. They can share their experiences with me, maybe even become my partners in complaining, but they can't "heal" me.

Dear Soul, God is the Great Physician. Understanding friends and experienced counselors are important and necessary in our lives. But when all is said and done, we need to lay all before the One who knows every inch of us, inside and out, for our very survival. The reality is we are more than just natural beings – we are spiritual beings as well. The One who created us, knows us.

Lord of my body, soul and mind, I bring all before You – my physical pain, my emotional distress, and my mental anguish. I thank You for empathetic friends and trained counselors who enrich my life and help me in the journey. But You, Lord, are the Doctor of all my diseases.

Check out: Isaiah 53:5

No comments:

Post a Comment