Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Week Twenty-five Question:


Have I ever been carried away to do something for God not because it was my duty, nor because it was useful, nor because there was anything in it at all beyond the fact that I love Him? Have I ever realized that I can bring to God things which are of value to Him, or am I mooning round the magnitude of His Redemption while there are any number of things I might be doing?

“It is never a question of being of use, but of being of value to God Himself. When we are abandoned to God, He works through us all the time” - Chambers Feb. 21

My Response:

Have I ever realized that I can bring to God something of value to Him? Has my misunderstanding of Godly humility caused me to shrink my gifts, my desires, my voice? I think this hiding of gifts, this misguided devaluing of self creates a restlessness, a “lostness” –
An example of someone who gave to God, who brought God’s gifts back to the throne was Eric Liddlle. His life, portrayed in the movie Chariots of Fire, exemplifies Godly humility in action. He said, “I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.”
To feel God’s pleasure and purpose – how many Christians, myself included, spend too much of their lives in this “lostness,” this misappropriation of purpose? Too often we are like Harold Abrams, a man who ran against Liddell, who said: “You're brave, compassionate, kind: a content man. That is your secret, contentment; I am 24 and I've never known it. I'm forever in pursuit and I don't even know what I am chasing.”

Do you ever feel like you’re “forever in pursuit”? Could it be that too much time has been spent “mooning round the magnitude of His Redemption while there are any number of things [you] might be doing”?

Father-God, guide my gifts back to Your throne. Sanctify my service to become a love offering to You.
















No comments:

Post a Comment